Reflections On Great Expectations


“Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of shedding tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlaying our hard hearts. I was better after I cried than before—more sorry, more aware of my ingratitude, more gentle altogether. If I had cried before, I should have had Joe with me then.”


There is much sadness in me, but I don't cry, not outwardly. I often cry inwardly - and that is the hardest crying of all. For I was taught as a child not to cry. With the passage of time, and with no tears to wash away the pain, my heart had hardened and rusted inside. But the above paragraph of tenderness made my eyes mist--if only a little.

"No varnish can hide the true grain of the wood; and the more varnish you put on the more the grain will varnish itself."


"So, throughout life, our worst weaknesses and meannesses are usually committed for the sake of the people who we most despise."

"I really do not even now see what I could have done save endure."

"... excited loathing in every respectable mind.".

"My view is a little classic and thoughtful for them, but they will improve, they will improve."

And I noticed recently that Zachary Khelah had just bought the book. Nice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

One human race

A TRIBUTE TO MY MOTHER